How best to care for children’s teeth
At Maghera Dental Care we love seeing families regularly for their dental examinations, this is a great opportunity to get to know your family and give preventative advice that can help improve each member’s oral health.
We will tailor oral hygiene and diet advice to you, but we usually recommend for children:
- Brushing should start as soon as a tooth erupts using toothpaste containing at least 1000ppm fluoride
- Brushing twice a day, last thing at night before bed and on another occasion
- For children below 3 years of age a smear of toothpaste should be applied to the toothbrush
- For children aged between 3-6 years no more than a pea-sized amount of toothpaste
- Ideally a parent or carer should help with brushing until the age of 7 years
- Encourage children to spit out and not rinse their mouth after brushing
Reducing the consumption and frequency of sugary foods and drinks is important to prevent tooth decay – we will encourage you to complete a diet diary if we have any concerns about your risk to dental decay, so we can help you prevent any tooth decay.